Monday 20 August 2012

Transition to Gent








 
So on to the next leg. We had a hasty breakfast and then traveled to the train station with the Lipkin family. There was Allan, Gail, Natalia and Avital in the back seat of the van, Deb and I in the front. Thank God the Lipkins had to get on the train first! A couple of unknown rules; 2 tickets at a time, the machines do not accept credit cards. We had been warned and so both families had roles of Euros in coins of 2 euros. Wih Allan’s experience and gracious help Deb and I got tickets. We were told we needed to get off the train and reboard another at Mepkin. Imagine my consternation as I  dragged the luggage off to see the sign on the train advertising our destination,Schpol! We dragged our stuff back on and confirmed that the train was going to our stop. It was the first time that I was frustrated with the train system! In terestingly, if I had been a dummy, not asked anybody I could have made it to the airport with no one challenging me for a ticket! Clearly there is a Vancouver ethic here!
Ample Shower

We met our greeter on time and again bussed 3 hours to Gent. Very reminiscent of last year as I was concerned about the wakefulness of the bus driver. We made our way onto the boat and were resigned to a very hot evening. Supper was home made and very acceptable. Our guide a young Dutch lady whose picture says it all !

This years cabin
The barge is much bigger than last year. And the pictures show ample storage space and a roomy bathroom, now if it was only cooler.
Closets!

After dinner was a walking tour of Gent. Interesting, old and made me thing of John Maclachlan . He and wife Maureen were with us last year, I was hoping he was to join us this year but he confided that he has seen enough of Europe. I tended to agree with his strategy as we walked yet another medieval street. Then I heard the singing.

It was Leonard Cohen in concert! Outside a local cathedral with about 5,000 seats. The sound was impeccable and people were listening along the local streets as the acoustics were transmitted perfectly for blocks. We continued on our walking tour, but returned to the square to catch the second half of the show.



Paulin our tour guide


What a scene. People from 20 to 60 ambled up, sat, relined or lay on the square to listen. They could not see as the stands blocked the stage. The segui from song to song was melodic, unhurried and free flowing. Hit after hit was played to an appreciative audience. Maclachlan would have loved it, great music, great venue, free!

No comments:

Post a Comment